Monday, June 28, 2010

My Goal: To become overweight!

Several weeks ago my employer provided the opportunity to have some voluntary basic health checks, this included blood sugar, cholesterol, hear rate and weight.
My results were exceptional, showing I was in good health – apart from my weight.

According to the scale I was 107kg. While this WAS increased by my clothing, I couldn’t honestly take comfort from thinking I was wearing exceptionally heavy clothing. My BMI (body mass index) was calculated and it was determined that I was obese. While this didn’t concern me too much (especially after seeing so many skinny people being labelled “overweight”) I decided that I should make an effort to lose a bit.
According to the same BMI standard, I would have to lose almost 30kg to be deemed at the TOP limit of a satisfactory weight. To me that is ridiculous. Therefore I am happy to aim to be healthily “overweight”.

Just before I left Sydney and I worked behind a desk for a food company, I weighed a little over 100kg. After my move to the country, helped by gardening and a less sedentary lifestyle, I fell to 95kg. However that turned around again when I started my current job: once again stuck behind a desk.

I haven’t made any significant changes to my diet. I am eating very similar things as before. The main differences have been portion sizes and refraining from snack foods. Gloria has also been making more use of the CSIRO cookbooks for weekend meals. I have still been able to indulge in a piece of homemade cake or a muffin for morning tea every day, as well as spreading a bottle of wine over three evenings on weekends (shared between two).

It must be about 5 or 6 weeks now since I determined to lose some weight and this morning I weighed in at 97.6kg. Still a long way to go, but at least I am much closer to being overweight than I was when I started.

No comments: